Saturday, May 2, 2015

Looks can be deceiving...

"And the Lord God said unto the woman, What is this that thou hast done?" Genesis 3:13


Good morning, dear friends!
Photo: geralt pixabay public domain

It is one of the most disappointing "tricks" of spring, in my eyes.

I looked out the window yesterday at the gorgeous sunshine, its long rays inviting and beckoning me to come and sit (because that's pretty much all I could do today) outside with a good book and watch my kids play in the yard, and bask in its warmth, as I watch God's creation come back to life after winter's grip.

There's just one problem:  There's a beautiful sun shining outside, not a cloud in sight, but it is FREEZING!

How can it look so nice, and yet be such a disappointment at the same time?

Looks can definitely be deceiving.

I was preparing a blog for Mother's Day for the French site that I help sponsor here in France, and the mother I was writing about this morning was Eve.  If ever there was something is life that looked better than it was, it was in Eve's decision to eat that fruit!  I never really liked being too hard on Eve, though, because in her place unfortunately I probably would have made the same decision.

Here are some random thoughts about Eve and that first really bad deception on earth.

There was nothing wrong with the fruit!  I know this is probably a ridiculous statement to make, but the fruit was not some kind of Snow White poisoned apple!  Everything that God made and placed in the garden was good! "And God saw everything that he had made, and, behold, it was very good." (Genesis 1:31) Eve saw it to be desirable, not just because of its knowledge of good and evil, but because it was an appealing (no pun intended) fruit:  "And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and to be desired to make one wise..." (Genesis 3:6) Everything that God made was rightly made!

There was nothing wrong with the rule!  Many times I have heard people tell me how "unfair" God is:  "How can a loving God send someone to hell?" or "Why doesn't God just do away with all evil, hardship, difficulties, etc." The moment that I as a created being decide to lecture an infinite, all-knowing, all-powerful God is the day that I need my head examined.  God is the one who created everything and everyone, and He can make the rules!  And His rule was not unreasonable, but a test to see if Adam and Eve would love Him enough to trust Him and obey Him. I John 5:3 reminds me: "For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments, and his commandments are not grievous." For those who truly love God, His commandments are not a long list of rules to obey, but opportunities to put my love for Him in action: if I love, then I will obey.

There was nothing wrong with Eve, or with Adam!  Again, everything or everyone that God created was perfect, and they lacked for nothing.  God had already supplied all their needs abundantly and richly.  There was nothing more that they could desire.  How many times have my desires for more, and my dissatisfaction with my present circumstances, gotten me into serious trouble!  I Timothy 6:8 is a good reminder to me:  "And having food and raiment let us be therewith content." How much more peaceful and satisfying my life would be if I would simply rest in God and His provision, instead of always wanting more!

Instead of trusting God, Eve believed the lie of Satan:...

...that God was withholding blessing from her.

...that her life would be better if she ignored God and His ways.

...that she would be happier doing what she wanted to do.

How many times have I allowed myself to be deceived in just the same ways?

May God help me to remember that His desires, His ways, His thoughts, and His commands, are the only path to true happiness and blessing in my life.  May I not be deceived into thinking that just because something seems right in my own eyes, that it is the right thing to do. May I take my decisions, big or small, to Him in prayer and wait patiently for His answers.

Looks can be and often are deceiving, but that does not mean that I have to be deceived.  I always have a choice...

No comments:

Post a Comment