Monday, May 25, 2015

Getting off on the...right side of the bed?

"But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them..." Acts 2:14


Photo: ryanmcguire pixabay
Good morning, dear friends!

I love languages, especially expressions in the different languages.  There are many that are similar in French and English, but there are enough differences that I make a few funny mistakes, and a lot of laughter results.

For example, one expression, that I always mess up between English and French, is about starting the day off.  In one language, it's "getting up on the right side of the bed," and in the other, it's "starting off on the right foot," and to be honest, I can't remember which expression goes with which language.  I always end up saying the wrong one in the wrong language, and because one is right and one is just silly, I'm better off not using EITHER expression, unless I want to be greeted with blank stares and suppressed giggles.

Many times people ask me, either in the US or here in France, "What language do you speak in your home?" Usually English, I tell them, unless we have French people over, then we speak French.  But that's actually not true.  Our first language?

Frenglish. Or Franglais, as we call it here.

We don't do it on purpose.  Our rule has always been here at the house:  You finish your sentence in the language in which it's started.  Simple enough--you probably have the same rule in your house, you just don't realize it!  I mean, when was the last time you had to tell your children to stick with the same language? (with the notable exception being my missionary friends, who find themselves in the same boat.)

But when everyone in your house is more or less bilingual, word slip ups happen.  And usually no one bats an eye at the expressions, because we understand each other.  And we don't understand why no one else does.

Isn't it great when everyone can understand one another?

Today is the holiday in France known as Pentecost Monday, the last of a series of long weekends in May. (This means we're entering into the final home stretch of the school year--WOO HOO!)

I love the passage about Pentecost in Acts chapter two.  For a few short years, after the descent of the Holy Spirit on the disciples, the people were able to understand God's Word as it was taught, from the lips of men who had never studied these foreign languages.

No language school.  Every missionary's dream.

What did these people hear from the disciples' lips?  "...we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God."  (Acts 2:11)

Now, there is language expression that does not need to be translated:  the wonderful works of God.

I can only imagine the excitement, the wonder, the amazement on the faces of the people, realizing that while the disciples were they themselves experiencing an awesome miracle from the power of God, they were also receiving the blessing of comprehension.  They witnessed the act, and heard every one in their own language of the wonderful works of God.

What were some of these wonderful works of God?

Prophecy was fulfilled.  Joel 2:28 had already spoken to the Jews assembled there of this amazing time, when God would "pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy."  They were witnessing the fulfillment of God's promises, made to His people a few hundred years before.  How thrilling that must have been to those assembled there, to witness God's amazing power demonstrated in such an exciting way.

Salvation was complete.  Through Jesus's death, burial and ressurection, salvation was made available to all. "And it shall come to pass, that whosever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved." (Acts 2:21).  Jesus's final act on earth was to send His disciples the Comforter, He would give them the power to accomplish His work on earth.  This was the final "piece" of the puzzle:  the promised arrival of the Holy Spirit to His people.

God's Word was proclaimed.  Peter finished his appeal to the people in Acts 2:38-40 with his words of God's salvation offered freely to all.  The results were staggering:  three thousand people were saved and baptized!  (Acts 2:41) Now, THERE's an open-air meeting that I would have loved to be a part of.

How much the disciples must have rejoiced in God, seeing the fulfillment of Jesus's promises to them.  How comforting the Holy Spirit must have been to them, especially following all the upheaval of the days following Jesus's death.  How much more they must have be thankful to be used of God in this very special way.

When I think of all the changes in the lives of the disciples during those first few days of the Holy Spirit's ministry, it is hard to equate these men with the men of a few days earlier.  When I look at my own life, before and after my salvation, I am also amazed at the changes that have occurred, by the Lord's grace and help.  As exciting as that very first Pentecost must have been, I am so thankful to be living now, with a complete Bible and the knowledge that has been made available by others.

I will never be able to be completely understood, whether I speak in French or in English (or even in Frenglish with my family), but speaking about God and for God is a language that everyone CAN understand, with the Lord's help.

Will I make myself available to Him today, to let Him speak through me?

2 comments:

  1. In our house, we just said whatever language best expressed the thought at the moment--English, Spanish, or French! Sometimes it was quite a jumble, but we all understood. I LOVED your "every missionary's dream" idea of Pentecost. Yes, really! And, the idioms . . . I always surprise myself when I can pull several correctly out of my hat. There are plenty of mistakes, too. Thank you, Susan, for another great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the rule that you must finish a sentence in the same language in which you began. That is so funny. I can see your kids having fun with that. ;-)

    ReplyDelete