Friday, May 22, 2015

Confrontation

"God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in times of trouble." Psalm 46:1

Photo: republica pixabay

Good morning, dear friends!

I am not a person to look for controversy or confrontation.  I know some people thrive on that, but I am not one of them.  If anything, I avoid conflict like the plague, unless it is about a spiritual issue, and then the Lord gives me the strength I need to deal with whatever the problems are.

I'm so thankful that I am not alone in my confrontations, but I know the Lord is always with me.

This week, the confrontation came as my husband and I were dealing with my son's teacher.  To make a long story short, my husband and I did not feel the play that his class would be attending would be beneficial to him, so we kept him home when the class went to see the play.

I made the mistake of telling the teacher ahead of time, and it snowballed from there.

Why wouldn't we want our son to participate in this activity? It was a school sponsored event, and the play was beneficial to my son's cultural awareness.  They were not asking for permission, merely informing us of the activity that was to come.  Difficult questions were thrown my son's way by the teacher.  He was afraid of being punished for not being at the play.

General unpleasantness, all around.

I know these may seem like small problems to those facing persecution and opposition where physical danger is real, but to my nine year old son, this was a big deal.  He's like me, and hates conflict with a passion.  This situation really had him broken up, which of course, tore at my mom-heart.

We reassured our son, saying that whatever questions the teacher asked him, simply to respond, "You'll have to talk to my parents."  And he was comforted by the thought that Daddy and Mommy were there, and they would handle whatever problems arose.

I'm so glad, that I have the same assurance from God.  When problems arise that are threatening me, overwhelming me, making me afraid, when Satan or my flesh come to me with doubts or questions, I can honestly say, "You'll have to take it up with my Father."  He's the one with the answers, not me.

Psalms 46 was an encouragement to me and to my son this week, in dealing with this problem with the school.  It reminds me of my place before God, and the world around Him.  There are so many treasures to be mined out of these verses, but I was strengthened this week by these thoughts:

God is big and strong enough to handle any problems that come His way.  Psalm 46:1:  "God is our refuge and strength..."

God never leaves me to face problems alone.  He is always there:  "...a very present help in trouble." (v.1)

Because God is in control, I do not need to be afraid.  "Therefore will we not fear..." (v. 2)

Even when it seems like things are falling apart, God is not moved.  "Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof." (v.3)

God is constant, and His love for His people is unchanging.  "There is a river, the streams whereof  make glad the city of God, the holy place of the tabernacles of the most High.  God is in the midst of her, she shall not be moved:  God shall help her, and that right early." (v.4-5)

This world is only temporary, and its problems are no match for God.  "The heathen raged, and the kingdoms were moved: he uttered his voice, the earth melted.  The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah.  Come, behold the works of the Lord, what desolations he hath made in the earth.  He maketh wars to cease unto the end of the earth; he breaketh the bow, he cutteth the spear in sunder; he burneth the chariot in the fire."  (v.6-9)

If all of that weren't enough, I have the assurance and promise from God's hand:  "Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth. The Lord of hosts is with us, the God of Jacob is our refuge.  Selah." (v.10-11)

In view of how great God is, how powerful, how loving, how amazing, problems and conflicts here on earth take on a pitiful smallness.  No matter how strong or fierce the opposition may be, my God is bigger and stronger.

What a comfort to serve this God.  May He help me to remember always, just how big He is, and to let Him fight my battles for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment