Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Rest

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."  Matthew 10:28


Good morning, dear friends!
Photo: pezibear pixabay

It's Tuesday already....what happened to Monday?

It's always like that for me at the beginning of the week. Things pile up from over the weekend, especially when we were gone like we were.  There is laundry to do, the house to straighten up, and the million and one little jobs that have been put off during the weekend, waiting for that moment when the house is quiet, the kids are in school, and I can finally impose order on chaos.

At least, that was the plan for yesterday.  I sputtered out about lunchtime, and had to rest for a while before tackling any new projects.  I got a second wind, and was able to get most of my work knocked out before I checked out last night.

I guess I'm getting older, and I don't recover as quickly as I used to.  I could come back from a trip, have everything back together by lunchtime the next day.  Now, I just can't anymore.  The desire is there, but the flesh is definitely...weaker.

One of my favorite passages of Scripture is at the top of this blog.  I have even embroidered it on to a cross stitch I did another lifetime ago (B.C., before children).  I love the imagery of this verse, and the message that Jesus conveyed to those who heard, and later, read about it.

Come...I must be willing to make the first step.  Jesus did everything necessary to open the way.  All I have to do is come.

...unto me...  There is no one else who can offer me the rest that I need for my soul.  Only Jesus.

...all ye...  There are no exceptions or conditions.  Anyone can have this rest.

...that labour...  According to my good friend Strong's, this word means "to feel fatigue" or "be wearied."  This is more than just work, but working to exhaustion.  I've felt that way a time or two.

...and are heavy laden...  Like a pack animal with a heavy burden, it is easy to get overwhelmed with the tasks before me.  What a comfort and relief when that load goes away.

...and I...  Jesus is the key to this verse.  If I want to struggle along without Him, that is my choice, but I will never truly find rest.

...will give you...  I don't have to work for this rest.  If I come willing, Jesus will give.

...rest.  This is that cease-from-struggle-and-worry-and-take-a-load-off kind of rest.  I can just stop struggling, and find the restoration that my body and my soul so desperately desire.

I don't know what tasks the Lord has set before me today, but I do know that even in the middle of hard work, I can be resting in the Lord.  I know that He is the one that will refresh and restore, encourage and strengthen me today, if I will just come to Him, and trust.

May you as well find that rest in the midst of your labours today.


1 comment:

  1. Yes! I needed this today. Spiritual rest. Thank you for a timely reminder to go to the Source.

    ReplyDelete