Saturday, May 23, 2015

Fragrant

"And walk in love, as Christ hath also loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God of a sweetsmelling savour." Ephesians 5:2


Good morning, dear friends!
Photo: jackmac34 pixabay

Everywhere I walk lately, whether in the neighborhood, or in the store, I smell spring.

Somewhere in my neighborhood there is a lilac tree, that smells wonderful.  I walked in a flower store yesterday and smelled the most beautiful flowers.  My roses are starting to bloom, and their fragrance is amazing.

Even here in the house, where I have to be more careful because of allergies of my family members, I have next to my desk a beautiful home fragrance diffuser, a gift from a dear friend when we visited her home a few weeks ago.  It doesn't have a strong smell, but every now and again, I catch a whiff of its delicate perfume and it brightens my workspace.  It helps me forget the other less pleasant odors that at other times surround the house.

Smells, both good and bad, make incredible memories.  I remember the smell of freshly washed babies, when other memories of their baby-ness are a little fuzzy.  I also remember unfortunately the worst smells with the same ease.  Think oranges and boiled eggs, cleaned off the Sunday school floor.  Enough said. I try to forget those.

There is nothing better than smelling something familiar, and having that smell remind you of something dear and precious.

I love the imagery in the Bible that talks about my life having fragrance before the Lord.  I was thinking about one of those passages this morning as I was starting my day, II Corinthians 2:14-17. What are some "sweet smells" that please the Lord?

Sharing God's Word with others.  "Now thanks be unto God, which always causeth us to triumph in Christ, and maketh manifest the savour of his knowledge by us in every place." (v.14)  Bringing knowledge of God's Son to every place cannot help but be pleasing to Him.  This is my purpose here on earth:  to glorify Him by my life.

A life renewed in Christ: "For we are unto God a sweet savour of Christ, in them that are saved, and in them that perish."  (v.15) God loves His Son, and is "well pleased" with Him.  The more I look to ressemble Christ in my life, the more my life will be pleasing to God.

A sinless testimony.  "To the one we are the savour of death unto death; and to the other the savour of life unto life." (v. 16) The way I live my live here on earth should be a constant reminder of the God I claim to serve.  For those who do not yet show Christ, my life should be pointing them away from hell and to the Lord.  For those who already know Christ, my life should be clean so as not to cause others on this same journey to stumble.

Many of the most beautiful scents are the most easily identified.  Flowers, soaps, even expensive perfumes have a distinct signature smell that is not to be confused for another.

Today as I venture forth, I want my life to be a sweet smell to the Lord, a recognizable fragrance to be treasured and that will bring Him glory.  May my words and actions today reflect all the beauty and grace of my Lord, as I seek to please Him today.

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it humbling that WE could be a sweet savour to God? Such love and grace!

    ReplyDelete