Thursday, May 21, 2015

Rain, rain

"That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust." Matthew 5:45

Photo:  firelong pixabay

Good morning, dear friends,

You know you live in a rainy part of France, when the people in your area have an expression for getting things done in the brief spaces between showers.  Here in the northern part of France, we go out "between drops."  You hear it in conversations among the people here:

"I hung out the wash, between drops."

"I had to hurry out between drops to pick up my children from school."

I can't say that I really mind the rain.  It is true that we do get A LOT of it, but I can't say I mind it.  It really does help you appreciate the beautiful weather when it comes.

I spoke with my Dad on Monday night, and apparently in Richmond, VA, the temps have already reached 90 degrees.  Not looking forward to that at all.  Maybe the rain is not so bad after all.

One of my favorite things about the rain is afterwards.  I love the clean smell after the rain.  I guess I still have enough of a kid in me to love splashing through puddles, or driving through them in the car with my husband.  I love watching the raindrops strung together on cobwebs like pearls on a necklace.  I love it when the sun comes back out and I see my flowers and plants blooming again, just when you thought they were finished for a while.

I guess it's a good thing to like the rain...when you know that most days you're going to see some, anyway.

While many times people tend to think negatively of the rain, I was amazed this week at the number of Bible passages that refer to God sending rain on His people as a blessing.  One of these passages is in Deuteronomy 11, right before God's people enter the Promised Land:

"And it shall come to pass, if ye shall hearken diligently unto my commandments which I command you this day, to love the LORD your God, and to serve him with all your heart and with all your soul, That I will give you the rain of your land in his due season, the first rain and the latter rain, that thou mayest gather in thy corn, and thy wine, and thine oil.  And I will send grass in thy fields for thy cattle, that thou mayest eat and be full." (Deuteronomy 11:13-15)

Of course, if it is true that rain is often depicted as a sign of blessing towards God's people, then the opposite is also true:  God withholding His rain is often depicted at God withholding His blessing, or judging His people.  Later in the same passage, I read,

"Take heed to yourselves, that your heart be not deceived, and ye turn aside, and serve other gods, and worship them; And then the Lord's wrath be kindled against you, and he shut up the heaven, that there be no rain, and that the land yield not her fruit; and lest ye perish quickly from off the good land which the Lord giveth you." (Deuteronomy 11:16-17)

Many times now I think that folks have got it backwards in their minds today.  They see the Lord sending rain at times when it is not convenient for them, and they get all bent out of shape.  They wanted to do a particular activity which required sunshine, and instead the Lord brought rain.  I do it as well, and how foolish I am.  I am so glad that God is the one who sends the rain, as well as the sunshine, when He knows that we need it.

Whatever the weather today, I hope I will remember that the rain and the sunshine are both gifts from His hand.  I would love to get out in my garden today, but the Lord knows best.  He will help me to be content and love and trust Him.

May I not be a "fair weather" friend to God, but may I realize that whether or not I like the weather, I will accept it as a gift from my Father's hand.

By the way, it was pouring down rain when I started writing this blog, but the afternoon was gorgeous.  We have another expression in this area of France:  "If you don't like the weather, wait five minutes..."

No comments:

Post a Comment