Monday, May 4, 2015

Moms' Week

"Thy father and thy mother shall be glad, and she that bare thee shall rejoice." Proverbs 23:25

Photo: vaniareposa pixabay public domain

Good morning, dear friends!

For all you gents that might be reading this blog this week, consider this your one week warning!

Mother's Day is next Sunday, May 10th.

I'm sure the greeting card companies have made it very obvious.

So, in the spirit of Mother's Day coming up next week, I would like to share some thoughts that the Lord has been putting on my heart about the mothers in the Bible.

The moms of the Bible have a lot in common with us.  We lived in a different environment, with different customs and different tasks, but these differences are minor when compared to our roles as moms.

Here are some truths that God showed me this morning, that in spite of our differences, those who are called to be moms have similar roles and similar desires throughout the world, and throughout the ages.

All moms receive their mandate as Mom from God's hand.  Whether or not women want to recognize it, God alone allows women the possibility to have children.  The Bible tells us that from the very first pregnancy, God's hand worked in Eve's life:  "I have gotten a man from the Lord." (Genesis 4:1)  In many cases in the Bible God reminds me that He is the one who allows women to have children.  For example, in the case of Rachel and Leah, the Bible relates:  "And when the Lord saw that Leah was hated, he opened her womb: but Rachel was barren." (Genesis 29:31)

All moms have the same desire:  to see their children succeed and prosper in their lives.  The definition of success varies from woman to woman, but every mom has the desire to see their children become successful, mature adults.  NO mom wants to be the mom of a thief, a murderer, or someone who is not trustworthy.  Each mom knows in her heart that the efforts that she makes (or does not make) for her children will have an effect on her child's future life.  3 John 4 is a constant reminder for me:  the success of my children will be the greatest joy to my mom-heart: "I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth."

All moms want to be proud of their children! Proverbs 29:15 reminds me that my responsability towards my children is for his or her own good, and for my own as well: "The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame." If I want to see good things grow in my child's heart, they will not grow all by themselves.  It is my responsability is to ensure that my children follow the correct path, God's path, from their youth.

It doesn't matter how many children one has, or the number of years that we are moms, these truths do not change.  During this week, may God help me to look into the lives of the moms in the Bible with a fresh gaze, to understand the lessons in their lives, learn from their mistakes, so that I may be the best mom possible.

Tomorrow:  The Mom of Us All

No comments:

Post a Comment