Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Morning BLAHS

"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might..." Ecclesiastes 9:10


Good morning, dear friends!
Photo: unsplash pixabay

Ever had one of those days, when you just can't "adult?"

Yesterday I had one of THOSE mornings.  You know the ones...when the to-do list gets longer each time you look at it, and the more things you see, the more you want to run back to the bed and hide under the covers.

Every part of me was screaming "NO!" at the alarm clock.  Every task in front of me seemed like a mountain, and my body, heart and mind rebelled at even the simplest tasks.

It was an "I can't" kind of day.

How do I even begin in the morning?  How can I start a task, knowing that once it is finished, another one waits right behind it?

As I was thinking about my "to do" list, and the things on it, I needed a "spiritual pep talk" to get things moving with the right attitude.  How do I face difficult days, when the tasks seem more numerous than the time to get them done?

Alarm Clock.  The first sounds that I hear in the morning have changed throughout the years.  I used to start off each day hearing children, or birds, or even the church bells in the town where we used to live.  Now, my alarm clock does the job.  I don't have a peaceful alarm clock, but rather the most annoying one money can buy.  It makes me get up if nothing else than to shut it off.  When I hear my alarm clock, I should be reminded of Isaiah 60:1-2, which read, "Arise, shine; for thy light is come, and the glory of the Lord is risen upon thee...but the Lord shall arise upon thee, and his glory shall be seen upon thee."  God is the one who makes this day worth living--up and at 'em!

Coffee.  Coffee does for me what the alarm clock does not.  My alarm clock may get me out of the bed, but it does not wake me up.  Coffee, even decaf, as I drink it now, does the trick.  I am reminded in Romans 13:11: "And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed." What is my motivation, and what gives me energy to start my day?  Now is the time to get up and get moving, for my time here is short.

Getting dressed.  As tempting as it is some days to stay in PJs all day long, I know I need to get up and get dressed.  When it's chilly in the morning, as it is much of the year here, I put this off as long as I can.  However, spiritually speaking, I cannot wait.  I must start off each day with the determination to live godly in this day.  I am reminded in Romans 13:12,14, "...let us cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light...But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof."

Eating breakfast.  There is nothing that I love more for breakfast than a piece of French baguette, with butter or cream cheese and cinnamon.  Right now, since I have kicked the sugar habit, it's unsweetened yogurt or a smoothie.  Not quite as tempting, but I know if I do not eat, then I will not be well all day long.  Reminding myself to eat physically though is not as important as eating spiritually.  How important is that early morning time with God (or late afternoon, or whenever your time is.)  Matthew 4:4 reminds me that although I could start my day without food, I would be foolish to start my day without God: "But he (Jesus) answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God."

Well, what about the chores that wait for me today?  Can I motivate myself for those as well?

Laundry and Ironing: "That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish." (Ephesians 5:27)  Am I as picky about my walk with the Lord as I am about my clothes, so that it might be "perfect?"

Cleaning house: Titus 2:5: "[To be] discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed." Am I reflecting a godly attitude toward my family and to others by the house that I keep?

Preparing food:  "Whether therefore ye eat or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God." I Corinthians 10:31  Before they can eat or drink it, I must fix it.  Enough said.

The list goes on and on.  I am sure that if I looked hard enough, I could find enough motivation to do all that I am expected to do today, if I will just take God's Word and apply it to my heart, and get busy.

So, what tasks are waiting for you today?  Can an "I can't" day become an "I can...through Him...?"

1 comment: