Wednesday, May 27, 2015

New Day, Fresh Start

"It is of the Lord's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not.  They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness."  Lamentations 3:22-23

Photo:  jill111 pixabay

Good morning, dear friends,

For those of you who were surprised not to see a blog post from me yesterday morning, I just want to reassure you:  I'm still here.

Yesterday, when I woke up, there was very little that I could have said, in starting off my day, that would have been of much help or edification to anyone.  After several attempts, I decided that I would let it go and start afresh today.

What a difference one day makes.

One of my favorite stories, Anne of Green Gables, has one of my favorite lines of all times:  "Tomorrow is a new day, with no mistakes in it."  Those of you who know the story, know that Anne was very "mistake" prone.  It's such a comfort to know that each day starts off fresh, a clean slate, that with the Lord's help I can fill with thoughts and activities useful to Him.

So yesterday was a series of missteps, false starts, bad attitudes, and wrongful thinking?  Today, is not.

I memorized the verses at the top of this blog as a young Christian, but I had forgotten the reference.  This morning, as I was searching for them again, I was surprised to find them in the middle of the book of Lamentations.  As I was rereading Jeremiah's words this morning, I was encouraged as much by the context of where these words were found, as the words themselves.

Jeremiah is in the midst of deep affliction and suffering with God's people, even more so because as God's prophet he was suffering the mockery of being misunderstood and ignored.  Even more, because of the continued mistreatments of others, Jeremiah was struggling with being encouraged himself.  He wrote:

"And I said, My strength and my hope is perished from the Lord...This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope.  It is of the Lord's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not.  They are new every morning: great is they faithfulness." (Jeremiah 3:18,21-23.)

Jeremiah's discouragement became encouragement when he realized that his sufferings would be of short duration, and that they are always under the control and limitations that God imposes on them.  God's mercies are so great, and His compassions so vast, that earthly troubles should pale in comparison.  If I will be reminded of this, in the middle of my struggles here on earth, what a difference it will make in my life.

I don't know what the Lord holds in store for me today, but I do know that with the Lord's grace and help, I can be encouraged by His compassions and His mercies.  If I stumbled today, or find discouragement, may the Lord help me not to stay down, but get back up and keep serving Him.

A new day, with no mistakes in it.  Time to get started...




No comments:

Post a Comment